The RIGHT way to clean out your medicine cabinet.
If you have unused, unwanted or expired drugs (over-the-counter or prescription), please don't flush them or throw them in the trash.
An estimated 200 million pounds of unused medications are improperly disposed of each year, thereby threatening our ecosystems and overall health.
Instead, bring them to Village Green Apothecary!
With the new TakeAway Environmental Return System, you can be assured that your drugs are disposed of safely and properly. This method is:
- Safer for people – you don't have to worry about drugs falling into the wrong hands
- Safer for the environment – avoid the "trickle down" effect of improper drug disposal
- The smart way to dispose of drugs (and their plastic containers) – for people who care about our planet and ecosystem.
How does it work? Two easy steps…
- Fill out a simple form with your name, address, and the names of the drugs for disposal. (Or come into Village Green Apothecary and visit our pharmacy counter to complete the form in person.)
- Then, bring your completed form and unused drugs to the pharmacy counter.
Rest assured, we'll see that they are processed appropriately using the TakeAway Environmental Return System.
We can accept over-the-counter and prescription products in any dosage, form and type of packaging, but they must be in their original containers. Acceptable and unacceptable medications are listed here.
Unused or expired medicines, prescription (Rx), or over-the-counter (OTC), including:
• Pills, tablets, capsules
• Inhalers, nebulizer solutions
• Liquid medicines 4 oz. or less
- solutions, suspensions
- liquids must be wrapped in a paper towel and placed in a sealed plastic bag
Controlled substances, such as:
• Adderall, Vicodin, Demerol, Hydrocodone, MSContin, Ambien
• Any sharps (such as syringes and lancets)
• Liquids over 4 oz.*
• Home-based care (HBC) or durable medical equipment (DME) supplies (such as rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide)*
*Contact local household hazardous waste facility.
5415 W. Cedar Lane | Bethesda, MD 20814
301-530-0800 | 800-869-9159 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday - Friday: 8:30am to 6pm ~ Saturday: 8:30am